Friday, November 02, 2007

Keris and Silat

When I was 15, I took up martial arts. It was around this time that I first encountered a martial art called Silat from southeast Asia, more specifically Malaysia and Indonesia.

I trained some Silat here in Glasgow, and loved the uniqueness of the art and the inventiveness. I also loved the weapons, not because Im violent! But because the weapons were beautifully crafted and were part of a highly sophisticated art and means of self defence.

To cut a long story short, when I was in Malaysia I was looking at buying one of these traditional weapons. In particular, one called a Keris, or Kriss.

It is quite a unique weapon! It comes in varying lengths, and some variations of it have a wavy undulating blade. The unique shape of the blade has symbolic meaning, the keris itself being a spiritual object. The roots of the Keris can be traced back to the island of Java. Today the Keris still has great symbolic meaning where it is used in official government ceremonies etc. I would talk more about it but hey! Back to the point.

My point being: I never bought a Keris while I was in Malaysia. But today, I recieved a parcel in the mail. It was from my wonderful girlfriend Rebecca, who sent me a real Keris as a gift, to celebrate a year of being together. Wow! She is such an amazing girl. She even bought me a real bull whip (Im an Indiana Jones fan! Nothing else ok?) for my birthday once. So I dedicate this drawing and post to Rebecca, thank you for everything, your the best, and I love the Keris! Ive named it after you :D Love ya x

Oh and my drawing is of a Malay Silat practitioner, holding a Keris. Its not finsihed yet, still in progress! And below is a photo of my very own Keris! Wow! Im so happy! haha :D

Anyhoo, enough for now. I would hug my knife to sleep, but it might poke me in the eye.

Ken :D

17 comments:

Miss Piggy Lass said...

Aww...glad you love it. Had you in mind when i bought it knowing how much u wanted it.

It's called keris Madura, Madura is a small island in Java & this particular type of keris originated from there. Different clan owns different types of keris, just like Scottish & tartans.

Keris are usually made of different iron ores and often contains nickel. I was told by the "empus"(Keris-smith) that because keris contains nickel, that's also one of the reasons why it is considered a lethal weapon because nickel is poison by ingestion and can cause nickel toxicity & intestinal disorders & thus speed up the dying process. So keep you keris safe!! haha...and never point your keris at someone, it's a curse ;). love xxx

dintoons said...

a mighty awesome drawing this!! great posing and attitude, and the keris rocks!!
nice story too... live dangerously haha!!;o)

Jörn Gebert said...

This guy got a cool positioning, very dynamic. I like the mixture of scribbling and exact coloring.

phc said...

i love it ken...
great drawing...great colours and great lights...

roby

BambinoMonkey said...

a lot of time from the las visit!the last posts are great!and yeah,orangutans are AWESOME!!!:D

cdeboda said...

Ha, very cool!

Rick Capistrano said...

Brilliant work!
Very inspiring.

[Harim] said...

Ese Changuito que tienes en tu cabecera de blog, es bastante gracioso...

GhettoFab said...

great pose on this guy Ken. I wouldve never guessed you to be such a violent guy ;) I dont think Ive ever heard of cuddling a knife....hehheeh

Your work is always amazing!

AstroGuaje said...

woowwww¡¡¡¡

Awesome work as usual¡

cheers.

Ken said...

miss piggy lass: I do love it! thanks so much babes!

Keris Madura? Wow cool, thanks for all your info. haha. I learn so much from you. Keris Smith? You actually found a Keris Smith? wow! that means I shouldnt accidentally cut myself with it. Dont want zink poisoning. A curse? Yeeks! Ill remember that!

Thanks again ;) means a lot. love xxx

dintoons: Thanks mate! Took me ages to get a pose I liked... even then Im not 100% happy. Those silat poses are hard to draw :S haha thanks dude!

Jorn Gebert: Thanks mate! Much appreciated :D

Phc: Thankyou! Means a lot!! :D

Bambinomonkey: haha thanks for dropping by mate! And I am glad u share my awe of Orangutans! cheers!

Cdeboda: thanks! :D

Rick Capistrano: Thank you! Much appreciated!

Harim: I dont understand 100%... but thanks!

Ghettofab: Thank you mate! IM NOT VIOLENT! GRAAARRRR! that was a joke haha. thanks dude, means a lot coming from yourself!

Astroguaje: Thankyou! Much appreciated :D

backpakker said...

You seem to like living dangerously ..awesome work - what attitude ! its nice to have a partner who shares your enthusiasm

Gerald said...

Great story! I really like the hi-lites on the knuckles and face of your illustration.

Anonymous said...

Great Work and keris is awesome

Anonymous said...

Hi guru, keep up a good work..
love the expression and posture of the character. But is it the correct way to holding a keris... just curios, sorry.

Ken said...

Thanks! Much appreciated, especially for such an old post of mine :D

As for the correct way to hold a Keris - I am not 100% sure. When I trained Silat we held it in all different ways - blade up, blade down, low guard, high guard etc etc. So I think it varies, but I'm no expert!

Anonymous said...

hi...
the proper way of holding a keris...
http://khalifahgayong.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/hulu2.jpg

:) the 1 that u drew...like he holds a curvy parang/golok.