Friday, April 02, 2010

Heads!


Howdy!

So... continuing with my portfolio upgrade. I thought it would be a good idea to do a series of character heads... just exploring shapes and style. To be honest Im not 100% convinced by these - perhaps they lack direction or inspiration. It may have been better to choose a theme. At the moment they feel... well... directionless, pointless. Thats something I am thinking about more with my character work - story. Its all good being able to design a character, but a real character design is story driven, not visually driven. Sure the visuals and aesthetics are important, but they should be informed by the story behind the character. These heads have no story, and I feel because of that, they are lacking.

Well, we live and learn! For now they will have to do...

Hope everyone is good out there!

Ken :D

13 comments:

Abby said...

Ken!

I'm sticking with my studies because I can't compete! YOU need to stop being such a great artist and maybe I'll consider. XD

Love the recent sketches, though~ You have a real knack for capturing expressions!

Kat said...

what a great character design!

maarten said...

These are friking great dude, NICE. So appealing. Its funny, i saw this dude the other day who looked EXACTLY like the guy bottom right haha.
I think the guy top right is my favorite!

- xTn! - said...

your work is amazing!

Ash Collins said...

class!
cant remember, are you on deviantART?

Carl Knox said...

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Ken said...

Abby: Nonsense! I appreciate your kind words, but you could draw me out of a job any day haha! :D Cheers for dropping in! Always a pleasure :)

Kat: Thanks! :D

Maarten: Thanks dude! Haha really? It kinda looks like my mate Wes... (sorry wes! haha! I mean when youre 50 :D) I still owe you a reply mate to your last comment. Sorry been a bit distracted! Ill get to it soon :D

xTn: Thanks mate, means a lot!

Ash: Cheers dude! Technically yes.. I have a deviant account but I dont use it much. I might start though, I think my id is nethken maybe?? :D

Carl: I got haribo or wine gums... which do you want? HAHAHAHAHA O.O

TJ Lubrano said...

You see! I missed a post :|!

I can relate to what you say that if you draw things, you need to have a story in mind, otherwise it doesn't 'speak' to your imagination. I have the same thing, perhaps that's why I ramble so much...because all I do is simply a story that's been written hehehe.

I do like these heads!!! I see great diversity and expressions! I really like the middle one, the afro and the nose!!! Oh but forehead dude is pretty cool too...

You know, sometimes a story just has to be created afterward? Sometimes you just don't know why you create certain things, you just created it, because you had a feeling ^_^.

The end again hehe

Ash Collins said...

you should use DA more, I love it! I'm a member of a group called Design-A-Character (http://design-a-character.deviantart.com), I think you'd enjoy it!

Kristian said...

What a great display of varied shapes. I love the way you approach shape and form. Beautiful!

Paul Moyse said...

Hey Ken, how's it going? These are great!!

Jules Jr Cherubin said...

wow...im speechless...this stuff is amazing...I need to step my game up lol

Gyimah said...

Wicked character sketches man! theyr awesome