Wednesday, October 31, 2012

You win some... You lose some...


A few months ago, Oxford University Press got in touch asking if I would do a sample for a children's book - I gladly obliged! Above is what I did.

They really liked it and were keen to go ahead - unfortunately there was one concern. Schedule and my travel plans for early next year. So the job didn't go ahead. But it was still nice to be asked! And fingers crossed that wont be the last opportunity for me to illustrate a children's book. I'm in no rush :D

And at the end of the day, I now have a new piece of art for my portfolio and blog :) Here is a character sheet I started but never finished for the kid:



I also made a process image too for anyone who is interested:


Enjoy!

And remember kids, the moral of the story. Sometimes you have to make choices in life... I had to choose between my dream of illustrating a childrens book and my dream of spending two months on an uncomfortable train travelling to the other side of the world.

Hmmm. 

There is more to life than work.

Ken :D

9 comments:

Hannah Tuohy said...

Beautiful work! I'm sure you'll get another chance to illustrate a children's book! Thanks for sharing your process!

Ken said...

Thanks Hannah! Cheers for dropping by :) Yeh here's hoping - maybe I'll write my own!

L ROSSI said...

Aagh awesome dude *o*
It looks soooo nice - the lighting, colours, design, composition...
I agree with skillz like these you'll have more than enough opportunities n.n
....
You know you made the right choice :)
(afterall, the other scenario wouldn't have included ME in it :P!)
Bien sur on vas dessiner!

Toddington Setter said...

Absolutely Beautiful! I for one hope you get another chance, because I would buy it just for some of your artwork =]

Ken said...

Toddington: Thanks mate! Maybe one day ;) thanks for dropping by too :D

Mimi Cortazar said...

Beautiful work!

Sam Nielson said...

I'd lost the link to your blog somehow, happily got a link here from John Nevarez. Awesome work lately!

RAWLS said...

Fantastic!!!

Michael Plummer said...

Hey man, these are gorgeous! The process image is great, I love seeing this sort of thing.